So this a little different….Vegan Mushroom “Crab” Cake. Before all my Maryland friends freak out, LOL, hear me out! 🤣🤣 Don’t we all have friends who have shellfish allergies? This recipe gives them a chance to kinda get the idea of a crab cake. Shredded lions mane mushrooms have the consistency of crab meat…add in old bay and voila an OCEAN FRIENDLY crab cake.Who is brave enough to give it a try? 🦀Recipe from Aubrey’s Kitchen…..https://aubreyskitchen.com/
- 8 oz Lion’s Mane mushroom
- 1 flax egg 3 TBS water/1 TBS flax meal, mix and let sit for 10 mins.
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 1 TBS mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise I used 1 TBS hummus, not a mayo fan!
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp old bay seasoning I’m using more next time….2-3 tsp
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 TBS fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt to your taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 TBS oil to fry cakes or bake at 350 for 15-20 mins, flipping halfway
- Garnish: lemon wedges
- Hand shred Lion’s Mane Mushroom into small pieces resembling texture of flakey crab.
- In large bowl, combine egg, mayonnaise, onion, Worcestershire sauce, old bay seasoning, Dijon mustard, parsley (finely chopped), salt and pepper. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Mix in Lion’s Mane Mushroom until fully incorporated.
- Mix in Panko breadcrumbs until fully incorporated.
- Form mixture into 3-4 equal size round flat patties (about ½ to ¾ inch thick).
- Heat oil in sauté pan on medium/high heat.
- Alternatively bake at 350 for 15-20 mins, flipping halfway.
- Cook patties for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Should be golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Add optional garnish, squeeze of lemon.
This is what Lion’s Mane looks like – you’ll find it in the fresh produce section of your food store.