This was a little experiment that turned out pretty good. My Mom made a really good french chicken curry that she put in crepes. We had a crepe maker…did you have one? They were a “thing” back in the 70’s. I can remember helping her make them in our kitchen back in Annandale, Va. Anyway, I thought why not substitute tofu for the chicken. I know tofu doesn’t sound good but it does take on the flavor of the spices, etc so well you forget you’re eating it and its such a great source of plant based protein and fiber. Give it a try, you might end up liking it!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 TBS Vadouvan curry powder available on Amazon
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 container plain Greek yoghurt I use Kite Hill almond milk yoghurt
- water or vegetable broth as needed
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut up tofu into bite sized cubes. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Heat Dutch oven or large deep skillet, then add oil. Sauté onions until they are soft. Add the curry powder and saute for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Next, add the red curry paste, garlic, and tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Add the baked tofu and stir until well combined.
- Add yoghurt and stir well. Add water until desired consistency. I added about 1/4 cup.
- Serve this curry over rice, cauliflower rice or noodles and a side of a green vegetable.