It’s soup weather everyone! 🍁🍁 I love this Sweet Potato Red Lentil Soup from Plant Based RD. I also love putting red lentils in soup because they dissolve and make the soup creamy. Plus red lentils are full of much needed fiber! I talk a lot about fiber because it’s SO important and many of us are deficient. Check out Catherine’s page, she has so many easy wonderful plant based recipes. I’ve saved quite a few and enjoyed them all.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 5 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 inch ginger finely minced (I used 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp adobo seasoning or your favorite seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into small cubes
- 2 cups cauliflower florets golf ball sized
- 1 1/2 cups dry red lentils rinsed well
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Handful of spinach I used swiss chard, kale would be good too
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat oil in a large pot and add onions, celery, and red peppers along with a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes if you desire. Sauté veggies until the onions have softened and become translucent.
- Add in minced garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant.
- Stir in spices and herbs, and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the sweet potato and cauliflower, stir well to coat the spices.
- Pour in the lentils, vegetable broth and water, and give everything a big stir. Taste the broth at this stage and season with an additional pinch of salt if needed. Allow the soup to come to a boil, then reduce to a rolling simmer and cook uncovered for about 13 minutes.
- At the end, remove the pot from the heat and throw in the spinach, stirring the soup until it wilts. Finally, add the lemon juice and adjust salt and pepper to taste before serving. Enjoy!