I make this pasta salad a lot. We’ll have it for lunch or dinner. It stands alone well when you load it up with veggies and beans but it can also be a side salad. It’s also nice to make it ahead and take it to a pot luck, BBQ or party to share – it’s always a winner!I typically use 100% whole wheat (look at the ingredient list to make sure it’s 100% whole wheat). But, there are so many pasta options out there now: Legume pasta (lentil, black bean and chickpea), brown rice pasta, and even cauliflower pasta. All nutrient dense and protein packed options to try.
- 12 ounces pasta penne, fusilli, small shells
- 1 can artichokes hearts cut into eigths
- 1 can garbonzo beans (chickpeas) drained and rinsed
- 1 each red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 each red onion chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup Kalamata olives
- 4-5 each pepperoncini peppers chopped
- 3-4 leaves kale hard stems removed
- 1 jar greek salad dressing (or Italian)
- Cook pasta according to box directions, set aside to cool.
- Once pasta has cooled add artichoke hearts, chickpeas, peppers, onion, olives, pepperoncini and kale, mix.
- Add salad dressing – enough to coat the salad and mix.
- Serve as a main dish or side salad.