We have an abundance of yellow squash from the garden this year. I try to be creative and not cook it the same way over and over…..sautéed with zucchini, onions and tomatoes. Its good but I’m bored with it! I had some leeks that I needed to use up and whenever I cook leeks, I think French! 🇫🇷 Oh la la! So…..Lentil and Yellow Squash Warm Salad with French Curry Vinaigrette. This is a plant protein and fiber power house with lots of flavor and it will fill you up. Enjoy it with a nice glass of French rose! 🍷
- 1 cup dry farro any kind you can find, I use Jovial Einkorn Farro You can also sub with brown rice
- 1 cup dry lentils brown or french
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 3 leeks sliced and rinsed in cold water
- 1 large or two medium yellow squash sliced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms stems removed and sliced
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt to taste
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 4 TBS water
- Juice of one lemon about 3 TBS
- 1/2 tsp French vadouvan curry powder you can use regular curry powder if your store doesn’t have it, Amazon sells it. I would encourage you to try the french curry powder…it provides a lovely flavor!
- Bring lentils to boil in water (fill pan with water about 2” above lentils). Turn down to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on them..you don’t want them to get mushy. Once done drain in a colander as you might have a little water left in the pan. Put in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook the farro the same way with 2 cups of water for about 20 – 30 minutes or so. You want the farro to be tender and chewy. Keep an eye in it as you may need to add water. Drain if necessary. Add to lentils. Add chickpeas too.
- Saute leeks in a little olive oil or water for 3-5 minutes. Add squash and saute for another 5-8 minutes until squash is cooked but still crunchy. Add mushrooms and saute another 3-5 minutes.
- Put the veggies into the bowl with the lentils, farro chickpeas and salt, toss.
- Put all the vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar or bowl and shake/stir until well combined. Pour over the salad and mix! Bon Appetit!