Homemade Vegetable Stock
There’s nothing better than homemade vegetable stock! It’s super easy to make, economical and tastes so much better in your recipes than store bought. It freezes well, too.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 leeks
- 3-4 carrots
- 4-5 celery stalks including leaves
- 8-10 mushrooms I used baby bella but any mushroom works
- Optional – 1 strip Kombu sea vegetable
- give everything a rough chop
- saute onions until start to soften, add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, until you smell the garlic. Yum!
- add everything else and saute (medium to medium low) for 5-8 minutes…just to release the flavor.
- add water, my pot holds 12 cups.
- bring to a boil
- turn down to low and let it gently simmer for 2-3 hours.
- once done…look for a rich deep color…strain over a colander with another pot or bowl to collect the liquid.
- I put mine in quart size mason jars (leave room at top because it will expand) and freeze them.