There’s nothing better than homemade vegetable stock! It’s super easy to make, economical and tastes so much better in your recipes than store bought. It freezes well, too.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 leeks
- 3-4 carrots
- 4-5 celery stalks including leaves
- 8-10 mushrooms I used baby bella but any mushroom works
- Optional – 1 strip Kombu sea vegetable
- give everything a rough chop
- saute onions until start to soften, add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, until you smell the garlic. Yum!
- add everything else and saute (medium to medium low) for 5-8 minutes…just to release the flavor.
- add water, my pot holds 12 cups.
- bring to a boil
- turn down to low and let it gently simmer for 2-3 hours.
- once done…look for a rich deep color…strain over a colander with another pot or bowl to collect the liquid.
- I put mine in quart size mason jars (leave room at top because it will expand) and freeze them.